Sandown Racecourse, currently known as Ladbrokes Park, offers year-round thoroughbred racing and a variety of high-octane motor racing circuit contests and driver training opportunities. From its historic debut in June 1965 until November 2008, Ladbrokes Park was known as Sandown Racecourse, but it now has a rising status as a first-class event venue.

Sandown Racecourse is one of the premier horse racing tracks in Australia. It is located in the suburb of Springvale in Melbourne, Victoria. The track has a rich racing history dating back to 1965, when it first held its Spring Carnival.

The Sandown Carnival is one of the country’s most popular horse racing events, and it is held over two weeks in November each year. The carnival features some of the biggest races in Australia, including the Group 1 Cox Plate and the Group 1 Emirates Stakes.

The ‘Hillside track’ and the ‘Lakeside track’ are two race circuits combined into one Sandown circuit. The Hillside track at Sandown Racecourse is 2,097 metres long with a straight of 491 metres, while the Lakeside track is 1,891 metres long with a straight of 407 metres. Both courses are built of turf, and all races take place in an anti-clockwise manner. The tracks are renowned for their tight turns and undulating terrain, making it challenging for horses to maintain their momentum.

Sandown Racecourse is a one-of-a-kind venue. Barriers aren’t necessary because all of the starters include a long straight to have your mount into a strong place before the first turn. It is not truly a front track runner as many horses from the back are run down. In race fields, the average number of horses is ten.

The VATC, also known as Victoria Amateur Turf Club, which also handled racing at Caulfield, took over the administration of Sandown Racecourse in 1965. In 2001, the club began a five-year plan to build a second grass track at Sandown, dubbed Hillside, and renamed Lakeside’s existing track. The home turn was enlarged from 30 metres to 45 metres, while the main straight was widened from 30 metres to 45 metres. The bend going out of the straight was also widened from 30 metres to 45 metres.

In 1999, the Sandown Racecourse underwent a major renovation, and the Sandown Cup was renamed the Sandown Classic, with higher cash prizes and a switch from handicap to weight-for-age rules. Sandown Racecourse built a dedicated quarantine centre in 1997, which was used to hold visiting overseas horses.

Sandown racecourse is also home to the Melbourne Racing Club, one of the oldest racing clubs in Australia. The club was founded in 1875 and is responsible for managing the racecourse. The Melbourne Racing Club has a long and proud history of supporting the racing industry in Australia.

In addition to horse racing, Sandown Racecourse is also one of Australia’s most popular venues for motor racing. The track has hosted some of the biggest races in the country, including the Bathurst 1000 and the Australian Grand Prix. The track is also home to the annual Sandown 500, one of the most important races on the V8 Supercars calendar.

The Sandown Raceway is a world-class motorsport facility operating since 1964. The track is 3.1 kilometres long and features a variety of different circuit layouts that are used for a range of different motor racing events. The raceway is located in the Melbourne suburb of Springvale and is just a short drive from the city centre.

The Sandown Raceway is a popular venue for driver training days, corporate days, and private functions. The track is also used for various motor racing events, including go-karting, drag racing, and circuit racing.

The Sandown Raceway is home to several motor racing clubs, including the Victorian Motor Racing Club, the Sandown Car Club, and the Sandown Historic Racing Club. It is also home to several different businesses that offer a range of services to motorsport enthusiasts. The Victorian Motor Racing Club is one of Australia’s largest motor racing clubs and is responsible for several different motor racing events at the Sandown Raceway.

The Sandown Raceway is also home to the Australian Grand Prix Corporation, responsible for the annual Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix. The corporation also has several other responsibilities, including the organisation of the annual Sandown 500.

What’s the difference between Lakeside and Sandown Hillside?

The Lakeside course has an 1857-metre circle and a 407-metre home straight, while the Hillside course has a 2087-metre circumference and a 491-metre home straight.

Who owns Sandown racecourse?

Sandown Racecourse is owned by Melbourne Racing Club.

When was the Sandown racecourse built?

Sandown Racecourse was created in the 19th century as a horse racing venue, but it was closed in the 1930s as part of a government-run rationalisation drive. Soon after WWII, redevelopment resumed. A bituminous motor racing circuit was created outside the projected horse track (which wasn’t finished until 1965) and inaugurated in 1962, holding the first race that became the Sandown 500 in 1964. In 1965, the circuit held the inaugural Australian Touring Car Championship race.



Source link