Warning: Undefined array key "post_type_share_twitter_account" in /var/www/vhosts/casinonewsblogger.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/cryptocurrency/vslmd/share/share.php on line 24


Gauteng MEC for Economic Development, Agriculture and Rural Development Vuyiswa Ramokgopa has dismissed Gauteng Gambling Board CEO Dr Karabo Mbele after a forensic investigation identified alleged governance failures, procurement problems and financial misconduct at the regulator.

Ramokgopa announced the decision at a media briefing in Johannesburg, South Africa, on Monday, May 18. She said the investigation, conducted by an independent legal team led by Advocate William Mokhare SC, found serious breaches at the provincial gambling regulator, including abuse of public resources.

“As a result, I have terminated the contract of employment of the CEO, Dr Karabo Mbele, with immediate effect,” Ramokgopa said.

The report accused Mbele of interfering in funding adjudication processes, approving funding before governance procedures had been completed, authorising payments without supporting documentation and failing to meet compliance and oversight obligations. Ramokgopa described the findings against Mbele as “serious governance failures and gross misconduct.”

CFO Suspended Pending Internal Process

The investigation also made findings against Chief Financial Officer Oscar Maripane. These included alleged failures in financial governance, procurement irregularities, non-compliance with the Public Finance Management Act, and breakdowns in internal controls and statutory reporting duties.

Ramokgopa confirmed that Maripane had been suspended while an internal disciplinary process continues.

The Gauteng Gambling Board had already faced instability before the announcement. Ramokgopa said the entity currently has no constituted governing board after several board members resigned in December 2025. She added that an administrator would be appointed while the province works to establish a new board.

“It has become clear to me that the status quo at the Gauteng Gambling Board cannot continue,” she said.

Ramokgopa said numerous whistleblower complaints had reached her office since she took up the role on 1 April 2026. Many whistleblowers requested anonymity while reporting alleged misconduct, malfeasance and maladministration inside the institution. The forensic investigation, according to the MEC, supported many of the concerns raised.

Whistleblower Claims Lead to Wider Action

Ramokgopa thanked the whistleblowers who came forward and said the provincial government would act against corruption and misuse of public funds.

“Corruption, maladministration and the abuse of public resources will not be tolerated under this administration, and no individual will be above reproach,” she said, as reported by SA news.

She also credited former MEC Lebogang Maile for starting the forensic investigation and thanked Advocate Mokhare’s legal team for conducting the inquiry. The investigation lasted 12 months and included a review of more than 80 000 pages of evidence.

The MEC linked the intervention at the gambling regulator to Gauteng’s wider institutional and economic reform agenda. She said the provincial government aims to restore confidence in public entities while pursuing commitments made at the second Gauteng Investment Conference, where more than R205 billion in investment pledges had been secured.

The province has set goals that include reaching 3% GDP growth by 2030, creating 300 sustainable jobs, improving governance across public institutions and increasing provincial revenue generation.

Ramokgopa also announced that the Gauteng Liquor Amendment Regulations had been approved by the legislature. The changes include a 7% increase in annual liquor licence fees, marking the first increase in seven years.

BOSA Calls for Criminal Investigation

Build One South Africa welcomed Ramokgopa’s decision and said the developments strengthened the case for a criminal investigation.

The party’s MPL Ayanda Allie had filed separate criminal charges against Mbele last week over allegations of fraud, corruption, abuse of office and conflicts of interest.

“The developments now give further impetus to the criminal charges already laid and strengthen the need for a full criminal investigation into the matter,” BOSA said in a statement. “BOSA now calls on the South African Police Service and the Hawks to move swiftly and decisively to investigate the allegations and ensure that justice is served without fear, favour or delay.

“South Africans are tired of corruption allegations being met with internal processes only, while criminal accountability is delayed or avoided altogether. Those entrusted with public resources must be held fully accountable where wrongdoing is found.”





Source link